Thursday, April 12, 2007

While I am commenting on things Heidi will probably disagree with....

Let me preface this whole post by saying that I am an absolute music snob. Those who know me know that I never listen to Top 40 radio - I listen to a lot of jazz, Broadway, soul, and anything recommended by my brother, Kyle, who has the best musical tastes of anyone I know. My favorites musicians run the gamut from Jamie Cullum to Bela Fleck to Alison Krauss to Pat Metheny to Michael Brecker to Tower of Power, etc.

That being said:

Y'all remember back inthe good ol' days when I was recapping American Idol...you know, back when Idol was good. Well, if you do - you will recall that I was a huge fan of one Elliott Yamin The adorable guy with the funky teeth and the killer soul and R&B sound. Well, the funky teeth have been replaced by veneers (and, I hate to say it, but they look a bit like Chiclets stuck in his head), but the voice is still there. Oh yeah....I bought his self-titled album on iTunes. And let me just say how much I love it.

Yes, it still has the same production quality of every other Idol's first album (a little too clean, a little too pop), but it is so very clear that this guy has a phenomenal voice and musicality that I believe that been missing from every Idol that has come before him....and apparently after him (read: San-effing-jaya). Seriously. If you are a pop fan, get this album. If you are even an R&B fan, get this album. This boy can saaaang. And he does a cover of one of my top ten favorite songs ever, "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - just awesome.

I really think that this is the best male voice that has come out of Idol yet (yes, even better than Clay Aiken - and for me, that is saying something)...and with a little more time and experience, Elliott Yamin could have a significant musical career ahead of him.

No comments: