Saturday, April 02, 2005

It's a Kind of Magic

While I am on the topic of music...

I have to thank The Unnamed Source for this latest topic, as he recently posted about one of my favorite bands, Queen. (I would link him here, but I am a goddess...not a super-goddess, let's not push it! However if you want to see his post, he is linked over there with everyone else!)

Anyway, as some of you may have guessed from the title, I am a Queen fan...a huge Queen fan. So, inspired by TUS, I busted out my Classic Queen CD for my commute to school. And, wow. First off, how fantastic were they?! I mean, just great stuff. And second, I was just flooded with memories of high school and my first "serious" boyfriend, Mike.

I was a freshman, he was a...everyone now...senior. My parents hated him and I LOVED him. I thought he was the coolest person in the whole world. How did we meet, you ask? Well, study hall, of course. He sat at my study hall table in the library. And, me, being the weirdo music freak in high school had written the names of rock bands and singers all over my notebook: Metallica, Led Zeppelin, CCR, Jimi Hendrix, the Doors...you get the picture. Finally, after weeks of him staring at me and my notebook, he leaned over and said, "Hey, Led! Led!" I was like, "What the balls is wrong with this guy? calling me Led...who the heck is Led?"

So, of course, I proceeded to continue working on whatever awful algebra assignment I had that day. Finally, he reaches over and pulls my hair Anne-of-Green-Gables* style. I turned and looked at him and told him my name's Kelly. "Not to me," he said, "it's Led...you know, Led Zeppelin." He then asked if I really liked the bands on my notebook, or was I just a poseur. I told him that I did. He said, "Prove it. Name a song by each of the artists." And of course, I could. I think he was impressed, because he then asked me if he could give me a ride home from school, and I accepted. From that day on, Mike called me "Led." And introduced me to Queen. We listened to "Queen," and "Queen II," "A Night at the Opera" and "A Day at the Races" and all sorts of other great music. He made me watch "Highlander," whose soundtrack is almost completely made up of Queen songs. He played piano and would play me their songs, and I just thought Mike was the greatest guy.

Now, why did my parents hate him so? Well, he wasn't really what you would call a parent's dream boyfriend for their daughter. He had one of those skater haircuts. He was a slacker in school. In fact, I am still wondering if he graduated. He drove a red sports car...okay, not really a sports car, but I loved it. It was a Nissan Pulsar...hey, it had a sunroof and I thought it was badass. Mike smoked and drank...but interestingly enough, he never did around me. My parents would forbid me to see him and wouldn't allow me to ride in his car. But I snuck around and did it any way. He was my one rebellious act in high school. And it was so completely worth it, just to be introduced to a band as great as Queen.

*Anne of Green Gables - a children's lit novel by L.M. Montgomery. During Anne's first day of class, Gilbert Blythe leans over and pulls her red braid and whispers, "Carrots, hey Carrots!" and Anne proceeds to break her slate over his head.**
**Why, yes...I am a complete nerd, why do you ask?

No comments: